Effective email list management is half the battle for successful email marketing so here are some best practice tips to follow to make sure you are managing your contact list to get the best results.
5 tips for effective email list management
Tip 1: Use an email marketing platform/service provider
If you are doing any sort of email marketing, the advantages of using an email marketing platform far outweigh sending from your own personal email account.
Just a few reasons are:
- In one central place, you get access to more engagement data (open rate, click through rate) about the people you are sending to.
- Most email marketing service providers have built in templates that can be customised to compliment your business branding. This means you can send professional looking HTML emails without having to know how to code them from nothing.
- The danger of sending large amounts of email from your personal account without the tools to properly manage the process is that you could end up being email blacklisted. That means your email will never get passed the spam filter, something which is near impossible to come back from. Good email marketing service providers will be approved bulk email senders, meaning they already have agreements and processes in place to deal with this for you.
- It makes the next 4 tips much easier to implement
They have different price ranges, different levels of service, different features, so it is important before deciding on one, that you research the options you have and make the right choice for you and your business.
Tip 2: Segment your database appropriately
Lets take a look at that sentence for a moment;
- Opted in – means they have given permission for you to email them
- Personal email addresses – means that the email address actually belongs to someone, for example, email@example.com, not firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com etc.
- Actually exist – sometimes due to user error or otherwise, an email address may be entered incorrectly meaning that it can’t actually be delivered, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
When people unsubscribe, they are no longer opted in so they should be removed from your list.
Following these simple tips on email list management will mean better results from your email marketing.
*Please note that the above marked link is an affiliate link.